Friday, September 25, 2015

Why we raise

Every year we see the same catalogs with the same candy or cookie dough from the same kids. Each year we shell out a few bucks because these kids are raising money for some nebulous concept that we are loosely informed about. We give because of the kids, not because of the product. We never really look to see what the cause is or why the money is raised. 

I have a few nieces and nephews ranging in ages from 2 to 16 and every year one of them is raising money for something. This year I asked my nephew what he was raising money for, and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. It never occurred to him that someone might ask questions. I told him that if he could tell me what he was raising money for and why it was important to him, I would buy from him. Of course, I planned to do it anyway. But I wanted him to learn a lesson about the why behind fundraising. 

He came back a few hours later with a much better informed answer about the what and why of hte fundraiser. It was for his JROTC trip to the Boeing Museum. The school doesn't provide money for trips like this and the opportunity to learn about aerospace science is lost in most schools. It was important to him because he wants to learn about flight and be like his step dad, the aircraft engineer. 

A few days later he asked me why I wanted to know about the fundraiser and my answer was simple. I told him that if he is going to get someone to care about his cause, he needs to know about it and care about it as well. It's disingenuous to ask someone else to support a cause you yourself don't support. He asked "what if I didn't care?" "Then why should I?" was my response. He laughed and I could tell he understood.

The lesson here is that you need to know why you raise. If you are ill informed about your raise and the cause behind it, no one is going to take you seriously or the organization you represent. How you raise money, as long as it's legal, isn't nearly as important as why it is important to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment